Friday 8 November 2013

How to fix greyed out uTorrent files

So today, as i am sure all IT enthusiasts have experienced, a friend came to me all serious and stressed out of his mind rambling something about his internet wont work on his dads computer. So being the good friend and all I said I would help. I got to his computer and obviously the first thing I do is open a browser and check what happens if I try to connect to the internet, and wadya know, it works... and now the story changes, actually his torrents won't download.

So this is what i found when i opened uTorrent:

So first of all I found that there is still connection, (obvious from the top left corner showing the total up/download speed, and the bigass graph at the bottom).  Now I know that the program itself has connection, and is also somehow (and for some reason)  not allowing the torrents to start, this is also further confirmed when I force start a torrent, this works. But now to figure out why it just greys out the torrents and waits for kingdom come. I start at the usual suspects, the connection preferences, but no, this is all correct. then I see somthing intersting in the left hand menu:


The transfer cap, when i opened it, this is what i saw ^^^  (with different numbers though). So then it hit me,  uTorrent just hit its up/download cap, I unchecked the 'Enable Transfer Cap' checkbox and presto, problem solved.

Now my friend can go back to downloading illegal content... :|

Happy Hacking
MiniMite

34 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! This happened to me and i was getting really pissed, I want my illegal content and I want it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOB , Didn't work for me (enable Transfer Cap is unchecked but still can't download!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. many possibilities such as you have lost internet connection for some reason, it is blocked by a firewall, you are being throttled by your ISP, or the file just does not have any more seeders left. try make sure all these are in working order and if not contact me again i will try and help. i hope you succeed ;)
    Happy Hacking
    MiniMIte

    ReplyDelete